There are dozens of products on the market to do this. It would be impossible for me to answer what the "best" one is for you without knowing more about your environment. The answer changes significantly based on your infrastructure. They come in a few different flavors:
1. Database replication (built in replication from your DB vendor)
2. Host-based block level replication (usually from a volume manager vendor like Veritas)
3. File level replication (dozens of vendors)
4. #2 with agents built in for your database
5. Array-based replication (e.g. EMC SRDF -- only works with your array type)
6. Storage network-based replication (e.g. FalconStor, Topio)
It all depends on what you've got and how you're going to use it. This is not an easy question to answer.
Editor's note: Do you agree with this expert's response? If you have more to share, post it in one of our .bphAaR2qhqA^0@/searchstorage>discussion forums.
This was first published in May 2003