- Backup failures: This is arguably the most important item to monitor. Failures require immediate attention and in some environments, are subject to reviews based on service level agreements.
- Storage capacity and utilization: Proactive capacity management will help prevent backup failures due to storage shortage and reduce unnecessary tape media handling. Capacity reporting also provides valuable trending information.
- Tape device utilization: Monitoring tape device utilization will provide information that can be used to adjust backup schedules and make better use of the tape hardware resources. It also provides valuable tape subsystem capacity information.
- Backup performance: Degraded backup performance can indicate a number of developing issues within the environment. For example, lack of hardware resource, software configuration error, network bottleneck, solution reaching full capacity, etc.
- Off-site media tracking: The ability to track and report off-site tape media movement can dramatically reduce the amount of media management overhead and cost.
Have a question for an expert?
Please add a title for your question
Get answers from a TechTarget expert on whatever's puzzling you.