This article is part of an Essential Guide, our editor-selected collection of our best articles, videos and other content on this topic. Explore more in this guide:
1. - Backup deduplication technology today: Read more in this section
- After 10 years, dedupe technology leads backup appliances, software
- What's hot in dedupe technology
- Dedupe tools available today
Explore other sections in this guide:
- 2. - How deduplication is performed
- 3. - How deduplication is used today
- 4. - Data deduplication challenges
What do you see as the most significant developments in deduplication technology in the past year or so?
The latest and greatest in dedupe technology, in my opinion, are deduplication accelerators. These software agents allow deduplication appliances to combine the best of source and target deduplication, while also adding improved integration between backup hardware and software.
By utilizing the latest in deduplication technology, these deduplication accelerators allow users to shift deduplication processing workloads between the source, the media server and disk libraries, which in turn can speed the backup process and reduce network traffic. Some of these solutions can also be used over the WAN for branch-office backups without local hardware.
Other deduplication acceleration technologies also allow the clients to send data directly from the application to the data store, without having to pass through the backup software's media server, which goes a long way in reducing backup windows.