You asked for it, so here it is -- a printable version of our Backup and Data Deduplication Guide. Data deduplication reduces the amount of data, thereby reducing storage costs. This chapter explores the different approaches to data deduplication, including its benefits and how it is being used in data backup and recovery today.
As a result, dedupe is following what has become a familiar pattern in IT: A new technology comes along to fill a long-standing need, but as it becomes widely implemented, questions arise over how best to use it and how it may affect the rest of the environment. Fortunately, there are enough storage pros with experience using deduplication to help wade through the pros and cons of all the approaches.
Here's what's covered in this chapter download:
- Data deduplication approaches
- Hardware-based deduplication products
- Inline vs. post-process data deduplication
- Spanning the globe: Global dedupe
- Symantec OpenStorage API: A hybrid approach
- Software-only dedupe approaches
DOWNLOAD: Data deduplication in backup today in .PDF format now.